How Much is Child Support in Kansas for One Child?

If you are a non-custodial parent in Kansas, you may be wondering how much child support you will be required to pay. The amount of child support you will be responsible for paying is based on a number of factors, including your income, the number of children you have, and the custody arrangement.

Checkout this video:


The amount of child support a non-custodial parent will pay is based upon their income and the number of children they are obligated to support. In Kansas, there are child support guidelines that the court will use to determine the appropriate amount of child support. The court may deviate from these guidelines if it finds that doing so would be in the best interests of the child or children.

In Kansas, child support is typically paid until the child or children turn 18 years old. However, if the child is still attending high school when they turn 18, then child support payments may continue until they graduate or turn 19 years old, whichever comes first.

How is child support calculated in Kansas?

In Kansas, child support is calculated using a percentage of the non-custodial parent’s (NCP’s) income. The NCP’s income includes wages, salaries, tips, commissions, self-employment income, disability benefits, workers’ compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, pension and retirement benefits, alimony from a previous marriage or relationship, and any other form of periodic payment from which taxes have not been withheld. The NCP’s imputed income may also be considered if the NCP is unemployed or underemployed.

The percentages used to calculate child support in Kansas are as follows:
-1 child: 17%
-2 children: 25%
-3 children: 29%
-4 children: 31%
-5 or more children: no less than 32%

What are the maximum and minimum amounts of child support in Kansas?

In Kansas, the maximum amount of child support that can be ordered is $500 per month per child. The minimum amount is $35 per month per child.

What if the non-custodial parent cannot afford to pay child support?

If the non-custodial parent cannot afford to pay child support, they may request a modification of their child support order. A modification is a change to the original child support order. The court will only grant a modification if there is a substantial change in circumstances. A change in circumstances could be losing a job, getting a pay cut, or having another child. If the non-custodial parent does not request a modification and falls behind in payments, they may be held in contempt of court. This means that they could be fined, ordered to complete community service, or even jailed.

What happens if the non-custodial parent fails to pay child support?

If the non-custodial parent fails to make scheduled child support payments, he or she is considered delinquent. In Kansas, parents who are delinquent in their child support payments may face a number of consequences, including:

-Garnishment of wages
-Suspension of driver’s license, professional license, or passport
-Interception of state and federal tax refunds
-Reporting to credit bureaus
-Contempt of court


After looking at the income, number of overnight stays, and other factors, the court will order a monthly child support amount.
The child support amount ordered in Kansas is called the Basic Child Support Obligation (BCSO). The BCSO is the starting point to figure out how much child support should be paid each month. The BCSO is calculated using worksheets that are available on the Kansas Judicial Branch website.

The child support amount may be different from the BCSO for a number of reasons. If there are special needs children or expenses (like private school tuition), the court can order an amount that is different from the BCSO. The court can also order an amount that is different from the BCSO if one of the parents has other children that they are financially responsible for.

Scroll to Top