How to Apply for Kansas Unemployment

You can apply for unemployment in Kansas online or by phone. You will need to provide personal information, work history, and the reason for your unemployment.

Checkout this video:


The Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) provides assistance to unemployed workers through the Unemployment Insurance (UI) program.

To qualify for UI benefits, you must:
-Be totally or partially unemployed
-Have worked for an employer who paid unemployment taxes
-Have lost your job through no fault of your own
-Be able and available for work, and
-Be actively looking for work.

You can file your UI claim online at or by calling the KDOL Contact Center at 1-800-292-6333. You will need to provide your social security number, address, date of birth, and the names and addresses of all employers you have worked for in the last 18 months. You will also need to provide information about your separation from each employer.

What You Need to Know Before Applying

Applying for unemployment can be a daunting task, but we’re here to help. This guide will provide you with all the information you need to know before applying for unemployment in Kansas, including what documents you’ll need and how to fill out the application.

Applying for Unemployment

Unemployment benefits provide temporary financial assistance to workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own and are either looking for new employment or enrolled in an approved training program. To be eligible for benefits, claimants must meet certain wage and work criteria.

In Kansas, claimants can file for unemployment online or by telephone. The state recommends filing online as it is faster and more efficient. claimants must provide personal information such as their Social Security number, driver’s license number, mailing address, and contact information. They will also need to provide employment information for their most recent job, including the employer’s name, address, and phone number.

After submitting the initial claim, claimants will need to file a weekly claim certification to continue receiving benefits. This can be done online or by telephone. Claimants will need to provide information about their job search activities and any earnings from employment during the week being claimed.

After You Apply

You will need to provide the following information when you file your initial claim:
-Your social security number
-The names, addresses and phone numbers of your most recent employers
-Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
-Your mailing address, email address and phone number
-A copy of your most recent pay stub or W-2 form

Once you have filed your initial claim, you will need to file a weekly claim to continue to receive benefits. You can file online, by phone, or by mail. Payments are generally issued within three business days after your weekly claim is filed.


Other Resources:
The following websites and telephone numbers are available to provide you with additional information about filing for unemployment in Kansas:

Kansas Department of Labor – Unemployment Compensation
(785) 296-5058
TDD (for hearing impaired) – (785) 296-3641

Scroll to Top