How to File for Divorce in Kansas

If you’re considering filing for divorce in Kansas, you’ll need to know how to go about it. This blog post will provide you with some essential information on filing for divorce in Kansas, including the necessary forms and where to file them.

Checkout this video:


Filing for divorce in Kansas is a process that starts with the filing of a petition for divorce and ends with the issuance of a divorce decree. The process can be simple or complex, depending on the couple’s situation. If the couple has minor children, their divorce will likely be more complex.

To start the process, one spouse must file a petition for divorce with the district court in the county where he or she lives. The petitioner must then serve the petition on the other spouse. Once the petition is served, the other spouse has 30 days to respond.

If both spouses agree to the terms of their divorce, they can file an uncontested divorce. An uncontested divorce is usually faster and cheaper than a contested divorce. If the spouses cannot agree on the terms of their divorce, they will likely have to go through a contested divorce. A contested divorce can take months or even years to resolve.

The Process

The process of filing for divorce in Kansas is very similar to the process in most other states. The first step is to file a petition with the court. The petition must include certain information, such as the names and addresses of the parties, the date of the marriage, and the grounds for divorce. Once the petition is filed, the court will issue a summons, which must be served on the other party. The summons will notify the other party of the divorce proceedings and will set a date for a hearing.

Filing the Petition

To begin the divorce process in Kansas, you or your spouse must file a petition for divorce in the appropriate district court. The court with jurisdiction over your case is usually the one located in the county where you last lived together as a married couple, although there are some exceptions.

If you have minor children from your marriage, you must also file a petition for child custody and support at the same time as your divorce petition. Once the petitions are filed, you will need to have your spouse served with copy of the divorce papers. You can either hire a professional process server or ask a friend or family member over the age of 18 to serve the papers for you.

Once your spouse has been served, he or she will have 30 days to respond to the divorce petition. If no response is filed, you can move forward with getting a default judgment from the court.

Service of Process

Service of process is the legal term for the delivery of court papers to a person who is involved in a court case. The papers may be delivered by the sheriff, a private process server, or sometimes by certified mail. The papers that are served usually include a summons, which is a document that tells the person being served that he or she is being sued and what the lawsuit is about.

If you have been served with divorce papers, you should read them carefully. The summons will tell you when and where you need to file your answer to the petition. In some counties, you will have to appear in court for a hearing on temporary orders. This hearing is usually held about 30 days after the divorce papers are served. If you do not file an answer to the petition and do not go to the hearing on temporary orders, the court may give your spouse everything that he or she asked for in the petition.

Temporary Orders

In order to protect yourself and your children during a divorce, you may ask the court for temporary orders. These orders can last up to one year and can include:
-Child custody and visitation
-Child support
-Spousal support
-Property division
-Restrictions on selling or transferring property
-Restrictions on credit cards and other debt

Final Orders

After the judge signs the divorce decree, it is “entered” by the court clerk. Once it is entered, it becomes a final order. The final order is binding on both spouses and cannot be changed unless both spouses agree or except in very rare situations.


Once you have made the decision to divorce, there are a few things you need to do in order to file for divorce in Kansas. You will need to gather the necessary paperwork, find an attorney, and file for divorce with the court. The process can be overwhelming, but if you take it one step at a time, you can get through it.

Scroll to Top