When Are Kansas Income Taxes Due?

It’s time to start thinking about your taxes! Find out when Kansas income taxes are due and what you need to do to file.

Checkout this video:


The Kansas Department of Revenue administers the state’s tax laws, and all tax returns must be filed with the department. The due date for filing your Kansas income taxes is April 15 of each year, unless you are filing a federal extension. If you are filing an extension, your Kansas taxes are due on October 15.

State Income Taxes in Kansas

In Kansas, state income taxes are due on the 15th day of the 4th month following the close of the taxable year. For example, if your taxable year ends on December 31, your taxes would be due on April 15 of the following year. If you are unable to pay your taxes by the due date, you may be able to request an extension.

Filing Dates

The first thing to know is that the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) requires most taxpayers to file their taxes electronically.If you must file a paper return, you can get the forms you need from the DOR’s website. Forms are also available at many libraries and post offices.

Kansas has a progressive income tax, which means that taxpayers who make more money pay a higher tax rate. The state’s tax rates range from 3.10% to 5.70%, and the majority of taxpayers (those who make less than $30,000 a year) pay the lowest rate.

If you’re wondering when your Kansas income taxes are due, the answer depends on your filing status. If you file as a single taxpayer or head of household, your taxes are due on April 15th. If you file as married filing jointly, your taxes are due on April 15th. And if you file as married filing separately, your taxes are due on April 15th.

The Kansas DOR offers several different filing options for taxpayers who need more time to prepare their returns. Taxpayers can request an extension by filing Form K-40EZ-EXT (for those who qualify to use the EZ form), Form K-40EXT (for all other taxpayers), or by making an electronic payment through the DOR’s website. If you request an extension, you will have until October 15th to file your return (and pay any taxes owed).

If you’re not able to pay your taxes in full by the due date, don’t panic — the DOR offers several payment options for taxpayers who need some extra time to pay their taxes. You can set up a payment plan online or by calling the DOR’s customer service line at 1-800-572-5722.

Estimated Payments

If you’re subject to Kansas state income tax, you may be required to make estimated payments throughout the year. This is especially true if you’re self-employed or have a large amount of investment income.

Generally, you must make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe at least $500 in tax for the year, after subtracting any withholding and refundable credits. If you’re married filing jointly, both spouses must make the payment if they expect to owe this amount.

You can make your estimated tax payments using the Kansas Estimated Tax Payment Voucher (K-40V), which is included with the instructions for Form K-40, Kansas Individual Income Tax Return.


If you cannot file your state income tax return by the due date, you may request an extension. An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. You must estimate your tax liability on the application for extension and pay any amount due.

To request an extension, complete and mail Form K-40V, Application for Extension of Time to File Kansas Income Tax Return, to the address listed on the form before the due date of your return. If you have a balance due, enclose your payment with Form K-40V or remit electronically.

You will automatically receive an extension of time to file if:
-You are a U.S. citizen or resident and on April 15 you are (a) serving in the military or naval service in combat zone or (b) living outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside those areas; or
-You are unable to file because of a disaster that occurred in a disaster area declared by the president of the United States.

If you do not qualify for an automatic extension, you may request an additional extension until October 15 by filing Form FTB 3539, Payment for Automatic Extension for Individuals.

Federal Income Taxes

Filing Dates

The filing deadline for Kansas income taxes is April 15th. If you cannot file by the deadline, you can request an extension by filing Form K-47 with the Kansas Department of Revenue. This will give you an additional 6 months to file your return, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any taxes owed.

If you are expecting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late. However, the sooner you file, the sooner you will receive your refund.

Estimated Payments

If you expect to owe $500 or more in taxes for the current tax year, you may have to make estimated tax payments.

For individuals, the estimated tax is payable in four installment periods. The due dates are April 15, June 15, September 15 and January 15 of the following year. You do not have to make the fourth payment if you file your return and pay any balance due by January 31 and meet certain other conditions.

Estimated tax is figured on income that is not subject to withholding. This includes, but is not limited to:
-Self-employment income
-Capital gains
-Rental property income


If you’re not able to file your state tax return by the due date, you can get an extension. You’ll have to file a request for an extension by the due date. The forms and instructions are available on the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website.

If you file for an extension, you’ll generally have until October 15 to file your return. However, if you’re a military member or spouse serving outside of the United States, you may have longer. Check with the Kansas Department of Revenue for more information.

Keep in mind that an extension is only for filing your return. If you owe taxes, you’ll still need to pay them by the due date to avoid interest and penalties.


The due date for Kansas income taxes is April 15th. However, if you are a resident of another state with a later due date, you may have until that date to file your Kansas return. Be sure to check with your tax preparer or the Kansas Department of Revenue to find out the specific due date for your return.

Scroll to Top