Who Can Perform a Marriage in Kansas?

If you’re planning to get married in Kansas, you might be wondering who can legally perform your marriage ceremony. Read on to find out more about the requirements for officiants in the state of Kansas.

Checkout this video:


In order to get married in Kansas, you must first obtain a marriage license from the county clerk’s office. Once you have the license, you can then have the ceremony performed by a judge, magistrate, or certain religious officials.

In order to get a marriage license in Kansas, you must be at least 18 years old. If you are under 18, you will need to get parental consent. You will also need to provide identification, proof of residency, and pay a fee.

Once you have obtained your marriage license, you can then have the ceremony performed by a judge, magistrate, or certain religious officials. The officiant must be authorized by the state of Kansas in order to perform the ceremony.

If you are having your ceremony performed by a religious official, you will need to check with your church or denomination to see if they require additional paperwork.

The Kansas Statutory Requirements for Marriage

In order to get married in the state of Kansas, you must meet the statutory requirements set forth by the state. These requirements include having a valid marriage license, having the marriage officiated by a authorized person, and having the marriage solemnized in front of two witnesses. If you meet all of these requirements, you can get married in Kansas.

Who May Solemnize a Marriage in Kansas?

A. Ordained or licensed ministers of the gospel or priests of any church in communion with a church in communion with the church of Christ are authorized to solemnize marriages. Such marriages are solemnized according to the procedures and customs of that church.
B. Marriages may also be solemnized by a judge of the district court, magistrate judge, or justices of the peace, who have received training approved by the supreme court for solemnizing marriages. The supreme court may exempt a judge from receiving such training if the judge demonstrates to the satisfaction of the supreme court that he or she has previously received training or has otherwise been determined to be qualified to solemnize marriages.
C. Marriages may also be solemnized pursuant to K.S.A. 23-2507, and amendments thereto.”

Where Can a Marriage be Solemnized in Kansas?

A marriage ceremony in Kansas may be performed by any of the following:
-A judge of a court of law of this state.
-A judge of a court of appeals, district court, or probate division of the district court.
-The clerk or deputy clerk of any county.
-An ordained minister or priest of any religious denomination. -Any other person authorized by law to perform marriages in this state.

In addition, if either the bride or groom is a member of the armed forces stationed in this state, andS/he is unable to be present for their own wedding due to his or her military service, then their commanding officer may solemnize the marriage by proxy on their behalf.

What is the Fee for Solemnizing a Marriage in Kansas?

The statutory fee for solemnizing a marriage in Kansas is currently $50.00, which must be paid to the person officiating at the ceremony at the time of solemnization. If the officiant does not collect the fee at the time of solemnization, he or she may not collect it at a later date.


All in all, Kansas is a great state in which to get married. With so many options for who can perform your marriage ceremony, you’re sure to find someone that meets your needs and expectations. Whether you want a traditional religious ceremony or a more unique and personal experience, there’s someone out there that can help make your dream wedding a reality.

Scroll to Top